The Netherlands: Windmills


I had a list of things to see, do and eat during my stay in The Netherlands. The windmills were one of the many things I had to tick off my list (next to the Dutch lady and cows). I've had the opportunity to visit the mills of The Netherlands, a UNESCO protected heritage site.


In Kinderdijk there is one area where you will find a stretch of about 19 windmills (if I am not mistaken), the most number of windmills in the whole of the Netherlands. This is the best place for an photo opportunity with the mills. And they've got a museum to boot!

 These windmills are used for different functions depending on what its built for. It could be either of the following reasons:
a.) to grain harvest.
b.) to dry the land.
c.) to move water to higher ground.
d.) blow you away (metaphorically).

Obviously I was letter "d".
I did an obligatory touristy pose too.

The day we visited it wasn't windy leaving the windmills still. I have yet to see a spinning mill but then just imagine that thing catching wind, I could be literally blown away.

Some fun facts about these mills is that you could tell the age of these structures from the sign on the windmills.
This one reads: Anno 1740 which means "Year 1740", the year the structure was erected. Funny it is written in Italian but we're in Netherlands.

Another unusual sighting is this bird that dangles from a string. I thought it could just be a scarecrow-idea by the farmers but I saw something similar in Switzerland but its dangling from an old church. I have yet to know what this is about, unless its purely for an aesthetic purpose.
The bird is watching

a cloudless afternoon

One of the windmills looked like it was turned into a living quarters. I even met a cat that was probably owned by the folks living in the windmill.
European Cat #1 from this trip


Around the area was this hotdog-on-a-stick looking plant called Reedmace. I would see these only in cartoons as a child. I vividly remember seeing it in Disney's The Legend of Sleepy Hollow. I realized that it is the first time for me to actually see one in real life.

Reedmace in real life


Here's an overview of the area for you to count the windmills.

Some windmills are kept open to the public during museum hours. From 9 am to 6 pm everyday during the peak season (I am guessing during summer) and on the low season 10 am to 4 pm.
Admission costs:
Adults: €6.00 p.p. (roughly 350 pesos)
Children aged 6 untill 12: €4.00 p.p. (233 pesos)
Children under the age of 6 years: free

Budget tip: If you're only up for the photo op in the area visit right before sunset when the lighting is great. No fees to be paid.

Later days.

No comments: