No drama for graduation

For the blessing of completing my schooling and being able to walk up the stage to make it official. I owe everyone who has been a part of my schooling this post. PLUS an explanation of why I had to march with a "cane".
I'm a fan of high heels and all that jazz but with vasculitis closed shoes isn't exactly my friend.

the full graphic explanation after the cut...
Q: What's wrong with you?
A: I'm diagnosed with vasculitis
(Cutaneous vasculitis nodosa to be a little bit specific*)
It only happens to my foot. Other vasculitis cases are far much worse than mine so I am also thankful that at least my case is manageable to some point.
Its like getting a nail hammered to your foot I shit you not. So when its really painful I can't do much apart from sitting down and ask folks to do me favors. That's basically how I've been getting by the past week. That also explains why I do not enjoy getting up early, that's when my foot is usually painful... not so fun to be me huh?
Sometimes painkillers take awhile to take effect so I would rather sleep away the pain.
Its kind of disheartening to think I'd have to wheeled. The problem being, a.) I don't have a wheelchair and b.) no one will drive le wheelchair. My only choice is to skip the graduation ceremony or walk.

Earlier that morning I had to attend the baccalaureate mass, oh boy oh boy oh boy did I almost give up half way having to standing up during the ceremony. Someone would have mistaken me for tearing up from getting emotional but seriously I was in pain at that time. I couldn't even take a pill during the ceremony because that would mean walking from point A to Z... ok lol I am just exaggerating the distance from my seat to the water fountain (but it feels a lot like that with the ulcers on my foot). I lived, so yeah...

A couple of hours before the graduation ceremony I started to walk with more ease with my "umbrellicane". Although I do get easily tired from walking short distances with the assist, this was the only hurdle I saw coming at me during the ceremony. The school gym isle is relatively long, in my opinion (or that could just be because I'm sick).
I came in-time despite my humble-speed. My mates even thought I wouldn't make it but there I was. Panda A. helped me put on my toga right before I marched down the aisle to my seat. I walked, I stood and waited until the last graduate got seated.

That's a miracle right there. When I was called up the stage the only thing on my mind was to not feel the pain. The thing is, there wasn't any to speak of. The challenge I had then was doing a curtsey and getting down the stage without tripping over the uneven spaces of the stairs.

and that's how I graduated from my schooling.
4 years in college went by so fast, now I have the rest of my life to continue my education. I had no idea that even up to the end it would a tall tale to tell. I'll make my grandkids read this small feat of mine.
*= I say "a little bit specific" because we haven't pin-pointed the root cause of vasculits, I gave you a general description of my disease. Its like asking what kind of dessert will you have? I'd answer ice cream but you'd ask what flavor and so on. This is not the first time I've had vasculitis. This is the story I've shared during the 2011 Marian Camp. If you haven't heard of it, you can track back to my posts from December 2006 onwards. It was a constant battle of emotional and physical pain. Drama I could have lived without but learned so much from.

Dear real world,
If you're  anything like vasculits.
Do your worse for I will do mine.

Good luck to all the graduates and on to the real world we shall continue to learn.

No comments: