Criterions of The Day

Welcome back to Philippine cinema, kids.

 Three short films... three short reviews
In photo: For Y'ur Height Only promotional poster

I was able to squeeze in time to watch Philippine criterion flicks within this week. Check it out.


Walang alaala ang mga paru-paro (Butterflies Have no Memories) (2009)
The first Lav Diaz film I've seen, it happens to be his shortest film. He's known in the Philippine film industry for  directing long films, his longest movie Evolution of a Filipino Family runs for eleven (11) hours (I don't think my bladder can hold that long). This movie is included in a short film collection produced in Korea called Visitors. I found the movie better off read than watched. On the photo is my favorite part of the movie. The butterflies indeed have no memories. I think I understood the meaning of the movie but I still have to cross examine my evaluation with the folks down at MUBI why not join us if you're up for a crash course in Philippine Cinema?

For Y'ur Height Only (1981)
For Y'ur Height Only is a retro-feel secret agent action movie directed by Eddie Nicart, Bruce Le, Raymond Jury. Orignally released in 1979 and its English dubbed version came out a year after. (The dubbed one is funnier, trust me this is the one I watched). It sure is action packed for the LOLZ. It's not supposed to be a funny all through out but what else can you expect from a James Bond parody from a 3 foot tall secret agent? Two words to describe this film is postmodern + contemporary everything else is history. I'd pick this over an FPJ action flick. Sorry folks but Weng Weng PAWNS!

This is pretty much the jewel among the criterion flicks I've seen in succession from Akira Kurosawa (I took a hiatus since school resumed), The Housemaid both (1960) & (2010) from Eva P.'s recommendation, and lately Brillante Mendoza's Kinatay.

Botelya (2008)
Ever heard of a movie ad? This one is. Botelya is a star studded movie ad for Johnsons & Johnsons's baby oil. Mowelfund came to school today and screened it for a seminar on digital movie making. We had Boot Anson Roa, who was among the cast, to teach elements of digital film making. I thought it was a well written movie considering that it is an advertisement. This movie was awarded bronze in the Cannes Lion 2009. You can watch the trailer here. And if you're seriously curious everything you need to know about the ad is here. We're talking movies here not ads.

That's pretty much all I have time for. I'm supposed to watch the rest of Visitors after seeing Walang Alaala ang mga paru-paro. I have to give credit to I.L. for suggesting the first two movies, great films too bad it's not on the database for me to rate but we'll see in the next few months.

Later days.

No comments: